Definition of white tie in English:
1A white bow tie worn by men as part of full evening dress.
- Officials asked the university senate to enforce a historic dress code barring all forms of dress apart from traditional white ties and suits.
- Another favourite for Win was a ceremony in the theme of Chicago gangsters, the men in black shirts and white ties and carrying violin cases.
- This was five-man boy band Surge, who came on in black shirts and trousers with white ties, doing a synchronised R & B dance routine to their soca hybrid song In Your Timing Girl.
1.1 [mass noun] Full evening dress with a white bow tie: he was wearing immaculate white tie and tails [as modifier]: a white-tie dinner
More example sentences
- If you give them your measurements in advance you ought to be okay - I've had both black and white tie from there without fittings and it's been okay.
- If we were in Semi-Monde, and I was debonair in white-tie and she was diaphanous in her black-and-gold evening gown, I'd languidly reply: ‘Thanks.’
- Social Scientist Jim Sleeper quit the Yale Glee Club after his junior year, in 1968, because, as he has told me, ‘With all that was going on in the world, I couldn't spend the weekends touring in white-tie.’
Definition of white tie in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan