noun[mass noun] • archaic
- Crystalline zinc sulphate.More example sentences
- A viscous residue in the bottom of each and a foul smell that denoted combinations of alum with white vitriol, sulphate of iron, and of acetate of lead with opium and ipecac.
- Formerly it was ground finely in oil, either pure or with a mixture of white vitriol and added to the dark oil paints.
- Some sulfates were formerly known as vitriols; blue vitriol is cupric sulfate, green vitriol is ferrous sulfate, and white vitriol is zinc sulfate.
More definitions of white vitriolDefinition of white vitriol in:
- The US English dictionary