A Eurasian stream-side willow which has narrow leaves with silky white hairs on both sides, and bark which contains salicin.
- Salix alba, family Salicaceae
More example sentences
- Herbs that alleviate pain are meadowsweet and the white willow tree - both are a natural source of aspirin.
- He had ended up in a clearing, with white willows leaning to towards the water, trailing their long leafy curtain of fingers through the cool refreshing spring.
- Today's aspirin is a synthetic copy of the compound from a white willow tree studied by Dioscorides, who noted that juices from its bark and leaves eased colds' aches and fevers.
Definition of white willow in:
- The US English dictionary