Denoting flour or bread made from whole grains of wheat, including the husk or outer layer.
- The problem with ‘granary’ bread is that the wholemeal flour content can actually be quite low.
- Good sources include wholegrains (brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta), nuts, seeds and green leafy vegetables.
- Eat unrefined starches like wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholewheat pasta.
Wholemeal bread or flour: sliced wholemeal with added bran
More example sentences
- A jacket potato stuffed with field mushrooms, and a couple of slices of good organic wholemeal so's not to waste any of the delicious sauce.
- Give me a couple of slices of wholemeal, and I'm a happy man.
- Slower sugar-releasing breads such as 100 per cent wholemeal or whole rye bread would be a better bet.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: whole|meal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.