Definition of whoop in English:
1A loud cry of joy or excitement: a moment’s silence was followed by whoops of delight
More example sentences
- Before he could even wonder what she had agreed to, he heard a loud whoop of joy.
- ‘Fine,’ she sighed and the guys and I let out a loud whoop of success.
- I jumped up in the air, letting out a loud whoop of joy.
2huːp A long rasping indrawn breath, characteristic of whooping cough.
- When something really tickled Papa, he laughed silently, screwing his face up, his whole body shaking, only the occasional whoop escaping as he tried to catch his breath.
- Infants, older children and adults may have the cough with no whoop.
- Neither the common nor the Latin name give any indication that the hacking cough and haunting whoop are often followed by vomiting.
verb[no object] Back to top
Give or make a whoop: all at once they were whooping with laughter
More example sentences
- The soldiers were shouting and whooping and hollering.
- Finally his words were drowned out by the crowd, and they whistled, yelled, whooped, hollered and applauded in a frenzy.
- I can remember roaring and whooping in our house when the aforementioned Johnny won it for the second time with Hold Me Now.
not give (or care) a whoop
whoop it up informal
- Enjoy oneself or celebrate in a noisy way.Example sentences
celebrate, rejoice, enjoy oneself, make merry, have fun, have a good/wild time, rave, party, have a party, revel, roister, carouse, kill the fatted calf, put the flag(s) out;North American step outinformal go out on the town, paint the town red, make whoopee, junket, have a night on the tiles, live it up, have a ballBritish informal push the boat out
- You can celebrate it by whooping it up on the patio with some friends.
- Another Pattaya Songkran has come and gone, but this year the festivities saw literally tens of thousands of revelers whooping it up as they joyously celebrated the traditional Thai New Year.
- Ashley Judd, the youthful Vivi, whoops it up with the sisters in one of the predictable flashbacks from Divine Secrets.
- North American 2.1 Create or stir up excitement or enthusiasm.Example sentences
- They're literally whooping it up because in the final thirty minutes of the trading session on a Friday before a three-day weekend, things get very slow.
- That is why a lot of minorities leaders whoop it up about racism, making American blacks victims.
- Nowadays, the image of cheerleaders tends to be associated with buxom blondes whooping it up for some big country boys crushing 73-17 victories out in the fields.
Middle English: probably imitative.
Words that rhyme with whoopbloop, cock-a-hoop, coop, croup, droop, drupe, dupe, goop, group, Guadeloupe, hoop, loop, poop, recoup, roup, scoop, sloop, snoop, soup, stoep, stoop, stoup, stupe, swoop, troop, troupe
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.