adjective(also wide-bodied /-ɪd/)
- 1(Of a large jet airliner) having a wide fuselage.More example sentences
- Full-service Asian airlines operated wide-bodied aircraft which could carry a full cargo load.
- Although business jets flew cross-polar routes before widebody airliners, they are yet to master everyday flying over the North Pole.
- At the same time, the imminent introduction of wide-bodied aircraft threatened to shake up the entire industry for the second time in ten years.
- 2chiefly US (Of a tennis racket) having a wide head.More example sentences
- These results are all the more impressive because most top professionals are not yet using the most radical designs, exceptionally stiff wide-bodied rackets that they feel don't allow enough topspin.
- Over a period of years, modern racket technology has developed powerful, light, wide-bodied rackets that are easier to wield than wooden rackets were and have a much larger effective hitting area.
noun (plural wide-bodies)Back to top
- 1A large jet airliner with a wide fuselage.More example sentences
- A spokesman for the airline said the widebody suited the Edinburgh route better as it almost doubled the number of business class seats to 25.
- The cases involved large and small transport aircraft, 18 different models, from the Jetstream 31 and the Canadair Regional Jet to an A300 widebody.
- For some aircraft, such as the older but popular widebodies, the first factor is having a greater effect than the second, and there is a net increase in value.
- 2US A tennis racket with a wide head.More example sentences
- One problem with widebodies occurs when people try to hit the ball edge on as in extreme sliced shots or topspin shots. You tend to hit the side of the racquet a lot more.
- 3US • informal A large, heavily built person, especially one who plays a team sport: he is a powerful widebody (310 pounds) with limited athletic abilityMore example sentences
- Poor tackling on the perimeter caused the run defense to struggle last season, and starting DTs John Thornton and Langston Moore need a widebody to join the rotation.… The Ravens have to find a defensive lineman who can collapse the pocket.
- Pili is a widebody who can eat blocks and stuff the run, but is not going to generate much of a pass rush.
- The Texans prefer massive widebodies to keep blockers off of the linebackers, but he may be able to turn some heads if he is consistently able to penetrate and make plays.
More definitions of wide-bodyDefinition of wide-body in:
- The US English dictionary