- 1An African weaver bird, the male of which has mainly black plumage and typically a long tail used in leaping displays.
More example sentences
- Genus Euplectes, family Ploceidae: several species
- In this study we investigated whether the carotenoid throat patch displayed by male red-collared widowbirds determines the outcome of male contests.
- For example, several species of birds such as bowerbirds, widowbirds, cock-of-the-rocks, birds of paradise, peacock-pheasants, and manakins build or clear courts used as arenas during elaborate courtship displays to females.
- This widowbird is transformed into a beautiful long-tailed bird during the mating season.
- 1.1 another term for whydah.