Definition of wigwam in English:
1A dome-shaped hut or tent made by fastening mats, skins, or bark over a framework of poles (as used formerly by some North American Indian peoples).
- A yurt - also known as a ger - is the Asian equivalent of a North American Indian wigwam.
- In contrast to white people's extravagant ways, Indian wigwams are of high quality, comfortable, and very cheap to build and maintain.
- I keep dreaming I'm camping with this gorgeous woman, sometimes in army tents, sometimes in mountain tents, sometimes in wigwams.
1.1A pyramidal framework of poles used to support runner beans, sweet peas, and other climbing plants.
- Annual climbers such as sweet peas can be supported by a wigwam made from bamboo or by twiggy prunings taken from coloured stemmed dogwoods and other shrubs cut back in March.
- Large varieties of sweet peas will need a sturdier form of support, either a wigwam or a row of garden stakes.
- Planted to clamber up bamboo wigwams or trained up and over an arch, runner beans are pretty enough to grow in the flower garden and yellow, carmine splashed shelling beans are highly decorative.
Words that rhyme with wigwamtam-tam • whim-wham
Definition of wigwam in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan