noun[mass noun] Genetics
- A strain, gene, or characteristic which prevails among individuals in natural conditions, as distinct from an atypical mutant type: this mutant produces about 15 times more enzyme than the wild type [as modifier]: wild-type allelesMore example sentences
- The mutation also reduced the copy number of the plasmids in otherwise wild-type strains.
- One young insertion was found to be homozygous in two wild-type strains and absent in six others.
- The clastogenic response of the three wild-type lines is statistically not significantly different.
More definitions of wild typeDefinition of wild type in:
- The US English dictionary