(also willy wagtail)
- 1A common Australian monarch flycatcher with striking black and white plumage.
More example sentences
- Rhipidura leucophrys, family Monarchidae. Alternative name: black and white fantail
- Meanwhile, a willy wagtail alights on the roof of the greenhouse, waggling smugly to itself, dancing through sheer joie de vivre, it seems, whilst a string of silvery notes glitters from its throat.
- The school is generally called the Tjintitjinturrpa school, this name being again from a major local Tjukurrpa, the willy wagtail bird.
- However, we found that other Australian species (e.g., grey fantails and willie wagtails) ejected all nonmimetic eggs.
- 1.1British • informal The pied wagtail.More example sentences
- The Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba), is a common British bird, seen throughout the UK all year round. It gets it's name from the constant wagging of it's tail. It's known in parts of Ireland as a ‘Willie Wagtail’.
- You can spot a wagtail because it often wags its tail up and down. The nickname for a pied wagtail is a ‘Willie Wagtail’.