(also willy wagtail)
Definition of willie wagtail in English:
1Australian A common Australian monarch flycatcher with striking black and white plumage.
- Rhipidura leucophrys, family Monarchidae. Alternative name: black and white fantail
- Meanwhile, a willy wagtail alights on the roof of the greenhouse, waggling smugly to itself, dancing through sheer joie de vivre, it seems, whilst a string of silvery notes glitters from its throat.
- The school is generally called the Tjintitjinturrpa school, this name being again from a major local Tjukurrpa, the willy wagtail bird.
- However, we found that other Australian species (e.g., grey fantails and willie wagtails) ejected all nonmimetic eggs.
1.1British informal The pied wagtail.
- The Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba), is a common British bird, seen throughout the UK all year round. It gets it's name from the constant wagging of it's tail. It's known in parts of Ireland as a ‘Willie Wagtail’.
- You can spot a wagtail because it often wags its tail up and down. The nickname for a pied wagtail is a ‘Willie Wagtail’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan