(also willow tree)
A tree or shrub of temperate climates which typically has narrow leaves, bears catkins, and grows near water. Its pliant branches yield osiers for basketry, and the timber is traditionally used to make cricket bats.
- Genus Salix, family Salicaceae: many species
More example sentences
- In her madness, Ophelia climbs a willow tree to hang garlands from its branches.
- Some 2000 years ago the Greeks used the bark and leaves of the willow tree (which contains salicylic acid) to relieve pain and fever.
- And the tree, the sacred willow tree, the huluppu tree, is no more!
Definition of willow in:
- The US English dictionary