Definition of wind machine in English:
1A machine used in the theatre or in film-making for producing a blast of air or imitating the sound of wind.
- It's probably the best song on the record after ‘IYM’, complete with horns, what sounds like a wind machine, and a transcendent drum track.
- Later, at the Museum of Classical Archaeology in Cambridge, I draped the West Pediment from the Temple of Zeus at Olympia with cloth animated by a theatre wind machine for a work called Pneuma.
- Scored for a massive orchestra, it also calls for such sound effects as cowbells and wind machine.
2A wind-driven turbine for producing electricity.
- The Senate has also approved a Small Turbine Investment Credit for homeowners who install residential wind machines, which the AWEA supports.
- Cheap and falling fuel prices, certainly in terms of fuelling power stations, have led to unnecessary inefficiencies of energy use and to fewer wind machines and other renewables getting off the ground than anticipated 10 years ago.
- Hundreds of wind machines will have to be erected around Scotland over the next 10 years to cut the pollution that is disrupting the climate, says the government's conservation agency Scottish Natural Heritage.
Definition of wind machine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan