Definition of winding in English:
1A twisting movement or course: the windings of the stream
More example sentences
- And you learn all about the head for heights that you need if you are going to tackle one of the narrow maintenance paths that follows the tortuous windings of a levada.
- Everybody looked with curiosity on the miniature locomotive and wondered how it could tug a train loaded with 50 people up the windings of this steep and narrow little track for four miles.
- I'm thinking less of the huge, operatic rooms hung with stalactites, than the narrow windings that might end in a wall or a cliff or a small pool where tiny, blind fish swim.
2A thing that winds or is wound round something.
- There are very fine wire windings around those heads, and if snagged while cleaning - then they are trashed.
- Engineers found a host of problems: damaging misalignments, cracked welds and broken webbing on the end-turn windings.
- There is no way they could have seen a golf ball before; I imagined them cutting one open for the first time, suspecting it was a grenade of some sort, and jumping back when the rubber windings started popping every which way.
2.1An electrical conductor that is wound round a magnetic material, especially one encircling part of the stator or rotor of an electric motor or generator or forming part of a transformer.
- It's kind of a slow-death situation; eventually that insulation breaks down and you have a dead short in the windings and a very expensive repair job.
- Each of the windings and diodes can fail at a time.
- When tape is unloaded, a ‘trickle’ current must pass through the windings.
adjectiveBack to top
Following a twisting or spiral course: our bedroom was at the top of a winding staircase
More example sentences
- We walked for a long time, following winding paths carved by herds of cattle, through high meadows into an exotic place that seemed like a foreign land.
- The 12-mile route starts in Stratford's Bancroft Gardens at 1.30 pm and will follow a winding course to Long Marston.
- Late one afternoon we found ourselves motoring along an isolated stretch of road in Idaho, which followed the winding course of a river.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan