Definition of window dressing in English:
1The arrangement of an attractive display in a shop window.
- However, Elfi did also enjoy dress design, interior design and window dressing and these courses did receive the maternal nod, and she graduated with qualifications in them all.
- Simon is the head baker of the family, while Julie - also currently studying interior design - has become something of an expert on window dressing.
1.1An adroit but superficial or misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favourable impression: the government’s effort has amounted to little more than window dressing
More example sentences
- Or was it, as his rivals claim, merely window dressing designed to conceal as well as reveal?
- The professional guidelines that news organizations have developed through the years are more than just a form of fancy window dressing designed to disguise the hidden political agendas of reporters and anchormen.
- Superficially, there may appear to be a change but it takes more than window dressing to affect real change.
- window dresser noun
- Example sentences
- Two window dressers were already putting a beautiful black gown on a brand new mannequin.
- I did all sorts of jobs including working as a window-dresser for Austin Reed.
- After studying at the Architectural Association in London, he freelanced as a window dresser at Barney's New York.
Definition of window dressing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.