(also wingspread /-sprɛd/)
- The maximum extent across the wings of an aircraft or of a bird or other flying animal, measured from tip to tip: an eagle with a wingspan of 7 ftMore example sentences
- With their stately stature, wingspreads as broad as eight feet, loud calls, and elaborate courtship dances, cranes are among the most impressive birds in the world.
- The adult is a pretty moth about 1 inch long with a wingspread of 1 1/2 inches; in its northern range, it may be only 1/2 inch long.
- Females weigh about 2 pounds with a wingspread of 40 to 46 inches, while a male will weigh in at about 1 ½ pounds and span just 37 to 39 inches, roughly the size of a crow.
More definitions of wingspanDefinition of wingspan in:
- The US English dictionary