nounchiefly North American
- A news agency that supplies syndicated news by wire to newspapers, radio, and television stations: the station buys canned reviews from a wire service [mass noun]: the paper probably didn’t even have wire serviceMore example sentences
- Sitting on the grass after one of the press conferences, a reporter from the Reuters wire service hurriedly started to organize his dispatch for the day.
- Forty-one is the mean age for newspaper and wire service reporters, forty-eight for those in television journalism.
- He's both a religious leader and a media mogul, owning both the Washington Times newspaper and the wire service United Press International.
More definitions of wire serviceDefinition of wire service in:
- The US English dictionary