(also wistaria /-ˈstɛːrɪə/)
- A climbing shrub of the pea family, with hanging clusters of fragrant flowers, typically pale bluish-lilac in colour. Native to eastern Asia and North America, ornamental varieties are widely grown on walls and pergolas.
More example sentences
- Genus Wisteria, family Leguminosae: several species
- The large pendulous flower clusters of the wisteria vine are quite appealing to butterflies in late spring.
- Even though Japanese principles and classic flowering trees and shrubs such as wisterias, magnolias and flowering cherries have been used, everything has been sourced locally.
- First, he planted a Japanese wisteria at the base of each pole.
modern Latin, named after Caspar Wistar (or Wister) (1761–1818), American anatomist.
More definitions of wisteriaDefinition of wisteria in:
- The US English dictionary