Having or showing a feeling of vague or regretful longing: a wistful smile
More example sentences
- Clarke has responded to his critics with a dollop of wistful regret, followed by an adamant refusal to back down.
- The look on his face is, by now, nearly wistful; the smile almost bittersweet.
- If you ask about her previous boyfriend and she gets a small, wistful smile on her face, change the subject.
regretful, nostalgic, yearning, longing;
plaintive, rueful, melancholy, sad, mournful, forlorn, disconsolate, woebegone, doleful;
pensive, reflective, contemplative, meditative, dreamy, daydreaming, in a reverie
- Example sentences
- My flirting with him represents some wistfulness, nostalgia and regret of those years past.
- In contrast to the wistfulness associated with nostalgia, however, the feeling here was one of nervousness, and even desperation.
- A seasonal wistfulness follows as I remember the faces and places of the Christmases of the past.
Early 17th century: apparently from obsolete wistly 'intently', influenced by wishful.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.