the witching hour
- Midnight (with reference to the belief that witches are active and magic takes place at that time).[with allusion to the witching time of night from Shakespeare's Hamlet ( iii. ii. 377)]More example sentences
- A thousand children were packed into stands on the Castle Esplanade to be entertained by fire-eaters, torch throwers and jugglers as the witching hour - midnight - approached.
- Maybe it was just because it was Halloween night, midnight, the witching hour upon us, and I was just projecting.
- We may not know the outcome until well past midnight on the East Coast, but sometime in the witching hour, we shall receive the final tally.
More definitions of witchingDefinition of witching in:
- The US English dictionary