1The action of withdrawing something: the withdrawal of legal aid
More example sentences
- Cr Jeffery offered to withdraw his withdrawal, but the mayor ruled it against meeting procedure.
- High-intensity trauma cases or withdrawal of life support share similarities with potential organ donation cases.
- During the 1990s families were forced to cope with high unemployment, benefit cuts, and the cancellation or withdrawal of basic health and social services.
removal, taking away;
abolition, cancellation, discontinuation, ending, stopping, termination, elimination
1.1 [count noun] An act of taking money out of an account.
- Police said she had made withdrawals from her bank account on both days, but they had received no reports of anyone jumping into the Thames.
- Pre-authorized withdrawals from bank accounts might have been affected as well.
- Cashcards normally constitute credit tokens unless the account from which withdrawals are made cannot go into debit.
1.2The action of ceasing to participate in an activity: Italy’s withdrawal from NATO
More example sentences
- It could also lead to isolation from peers or withdrawal from activities, which could increase the risk for depression.
- Be alert to symptoms of bullying, such as changed behaviors, passivity, and withdrawal from group activities
- In school-age children, depression can manifest as underachievement and withdrawal from activities.
departure, pull-out, exit, exodus, evacuation, retirement, retreat, disengagement
1.3The process of ceasing to take an addictive drug.
- When a mouse's running wheel is taken away, its brain shows a jump in neurological activity much like the symptoms seen during withdrawal from drug addiction.
- That's right, and two things that predicted maintenance of normal blood pressure after drug withdrawal were salt restriction and weight loss.
- They are tending to their addiction - keeping the physical devils of drug withdrawal at bay.
- The unpleasant physical reaction that accompanies the process of ceasing to take an addictive drug: methadone provides a way off heroine that minimizes withdrawal symptoms sports fans suffering withdrawal symptoms since the end of the World CupMore example sentences
- In a police cell, he asked to see a doctor and stole 26 tablets used to help drug addicts cope with withdrawal symptoms.
- Youth develop tobacco addiction and experience withdrawal symptoms similar to adults when they try to abstain from smoking.
- There is no evidence that LSD produces physical withdrawal symptoms when chronic use is stopped.
Words that rhyme with withdrawalknawel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.