Definition of withdrawal in English:
1The action of withdrawing something: the withdrawal of legal aid
More example sentences
- Cr Jeffery offered to withdraw his withdrawal, but the mayor ruled it against meeting procedure.
- High-intensity trauma cases or withdrawal of life support share similarities with potential organ donation cases.
- During the 1990s families were forced to cope with high unemployment, benefit cuts, and the cancellation or withdrawal of basic health and social services.
1.1 [count noun] An act of taking money out of an account.
- Police said she had made withdrawals from her bank account on both days, but they had received no reports of anyone jumping into the Thames.
- Pre-authorized withdrawals from bank accounts might have been affected as well.
- Cashcards normally constitute credit tokens unless the account from which withdrawals are made cannot go into debit.
1.2The action of ceasing to participate in an activity: Italy’s withdrawal from NATO
More example sentences
- It could also lead to isolation from peers or withdrawal from activities, which could increase the risk for depression.
- Be alert to symptoms of bullying, such as changed behaviors, passivity, and withdrawal from group activities
- In school-age children, depression can manifest as underachievement and withdrawal from activities.
1.3The process of ceasing to take an addictive drug.
- When a mouse's running wheel is taken away, its brain shows a jump in neurological activity much like the symptoms seen during withdrawal from drug addiction.
- That's right, and two things that predicted maintenance of normal blood pressure after drug withdrawal were salt restriction and weight loss.
- They are tending to their addiction - keeping the physical devils of drug withdrawal at bay.
- The unpleasant physical reaction that accompanies the process of ceasing to take an addictive drug: methadone provides a way off heroine that minimizes withdrawal symptoms sports fans suffering withdrawal symptoms since the end of the World CupMore example sentences
- In a police cell, he asked to see a doctor and stole 26 tablets used to help drug addicts cope with withdrawal symptoms.
- Youth develop tobacco addiction and experience withdrawal symptoms similar to adults when they try to abstain from smoking.
- There is no evidence that LSD produces physical withdrawal symptoms when chronic use is stopped.
Pronunciation: /wɪðˈdrɔːəl ˌsɪm(p)təmz/
Words that rhyme with withdrawalknawel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.