- A brown Australian carpet shark with pale markings, living in shallow waters around reefs.
More example sentences
- Orectolobus maculatus, family Orectolobidae
- He even went in and marked the position of frogfish (they call them anglerfish) and carpet sharks (wobbegongs) by tying off glowsticks to the nearby coral!
- The wobbegong, (carpet shark), attacked 22-year-old Luke Tresoglavic yesterday whilst he was ‘snorkelling’ on a reef off Caves Beach, south of Newcastle.
- We also came face to face with one of my favourite sharks, the marvellous wobbegong.
mid 19th century: probably from a New South Wales Aboriginal language.