1Characterized by, expressive of, or causing sorrow or misery: her face was woeful
More example sentences
- He sounded so woeful, his expression so longing, that I had felt sympathy for him.
- He felt a tug on his heart as he watched her face, her woeful expression silhouetted by the moonlight.
- He used to draw woeful crowds, especially to the Square above.
sad, unhappy, miserable, woebegone, doleful, forlorn, crestfallen, glum, gloomy, dejected, downcast, disconsolate, downhearted, despondent, depressed, despairing, dismal, melancholy, broken-hearted, heartbroken, inconsolable, grief-stricken
tragic, sad, saddening, unhappy, sorrowful, miserable, cheerless, wretched, sorry, pitiful, pathetic, pitiable, gloomy, grievous, traumatic, upsetting, depressing, distressing, heartbreaking, heart-rending, tear-jerking, agonizing, harrowing
2Very bad; deplorable: the remark was enough to establish his woeful ignorance about the theatre
More example sentences
- Last weekend's wet, wild and woeful trip to gloomy south Wales did turn out to have a silver lining for at least one Borders player.
- The committee concluded that the paper trail on this whole sorry transaction was woeful.
- Hopefully, the pathetic and woeful situation that has been allowed to arise will bring people to their senses, at least on the playing side.
dreadful, very bad, awful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, disgraceful, deplorable, shameful, hopeless, lamentable, laughable, substandard, poor, inadequate, inferior, unsatisfactory
informal rotten, appalling, crummy, pathetic, pitiful, useless, lousy, shocking, abysmal, dire, the pits
North American vulgar slang chickenshit
- Example sentences
- The editor is noted for addressing hacks at their end-of-term bash in a speech widely noted for its spectacular woefulness.
- And, really, the only bright spot of yesterday for United, who are fast slipping into pre-McCall woefulness, was that they broke their duck against Hearts.
- Small wonder modern heavy rock gets such a ribbing when it goes and gets itself involved in woefulness like this.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: woe¦ful
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.