Definition of womanism in English:
A form of feminism that acknowledges women’s natural contribution to society (used by some in distinction to the term feminism and its association with white women).
- It has sometimes been called Marxism, sometimes socialist feminism, sometimes womanism, sometimes materialist feminism, or feminist materialism, and sometimes is implicit in work that bears no theoretical labels.
- Distinguishing between womanism and feminism, however, has often been a subject of debate.
- My students recently tackled the distinction between the philosophies of feminism and Black womanism.
- Example sentences
- Black feminists and womanists have consistently provided the most compelling egalitarian vision for the black freedom struggle.
- Perhaps womanist is a word that does not obscure or contradict feminism, but that represents a new kind of feminism that is fresh, informed and accessible.
- Nor need feminists and womanists worry unduly in this case about the tendency of atonement models to foster one-sided and narrow prescriptions for human action by elevating certain features of the cross to salvific status.
Definition of womanism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan