adjective (wonkier, wonkiest)• informal
- 1Not straight; crooked or askew: you have a wonky nose and a crooked mouthMore example sentences
- You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
- My housemate can't bear her because she ‘has a wonky nose’!
- From the corner of Décarie and Jean-Talon, you can also, for another 10 days, see Cheval Théâtre's wonky Medieval-inspired tents in the distance.
- 1.1(Of a thing) unsteady: they sat drinking, perched on the wonky stoolsMore example sentences
- He said: ‘One of the wheels is wonky, the handles are unstable and I was feeling quite worried about it.’
- It is dark, with low ceilings, crooked wooden floors, wonky bar stools and an array of nationalist paraphernalia on the walls.
- My wounds were dressed, the burn on my shoulder was dressed, and I was still a bit wonky as we say in the biz, but I was able to say that I had ‘forgotten’ my medicine, which was a lie.
- 1.2Not functioning correctly; faulty: I enjoy good health, apart from two wonky kneesMore example sentences
- The wonky lights have been malfunctioning for so long, and so often, a rumour spread in the area that the equipment was, in fact, secondhand when it was installed.
- In Waters's world, everything is a little wonky and off center.
- Heretofore my worst disaster was a 3.5 inch disk going wonky and eating a chapter of my dissertation (which sucked anyway) so my number was just up for a hard drive failure.
- More example sentences
- As Bridges conceives him, he's genuinely funny, even wonkily admirable in his tongue-tied, laissez faire attitude toward the world.
- It's wonkily progressive without being wonkily aggressive; Weisberg calls for the return of activist government ‘to heal the injuries’ of race and class in America, and he makes his point without burying his readers under an avalanche of meaningless facts.
- More example sentences
- It's pretty fun viewing, with an additional layer of wonkiness enhancing the film due to the fact that all the dialogue is looped (dubbed over the soundtrack after production).
- As ever, no claims are made regarding quality - you'll find copious evidence of blurring, obscuring, poor framing and general wonkiness here, if you're paying attention.
- There's a story, of course there's a story, but continued wonkiness on the server had me shut out again this morning, so enjoy the pic and I'll get settled down to write here in a bit.
early 20th century: fanciful formation.