A dark brown Eurasian mouse with a long tail and large eyes. Also called field mouse.
- Genus Apodemus, family Muridae: several species, in particular the widespread A. sylvaticus
More example sentences
- In the wood mouse (A. sylvaticus), males of which are more aggressive to others of their own sex than are females, the demand for matings by males is far larger than the number of matings females can offer.
- The sperm of the European wood mouse, Apodemus sylvaticus, hook together in long, thick trains that can double an individual's speed, say Harry Moore of the University of Sheffield in England and his colleagues in the July 11 Nature.
- The wood mouse, A.sylvaticus, is taken as the mammalian reference species, while amphibians and earthworms are used to obtain complementary information on teratogeny and genotoxicity.
Definition of wood mouse in:
- The US English dictionary