1(In folklore and classical mythology) a nymph inhabiting woodland, especially a dryad or hamadryad.
- A beautiful woman - supposedly a wood nymph - stood partly in the shadows, with moonlight streaming down upon her.
- A manipulative wood nymph, Dunphia, competes for the attentions of the impressionable Keano with the pink dolphin god, Fergie.
- It bounded towards her, revealing a short wood nymph with impossibly tangled grey hair.
2A brown American butterfly of grassy habitats and light woodland, with large eyespots on the forewings and smaller ones on the hindwings.
- Genus Cercyonis, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae: several species
- I believe they were mostly Harris's checkerspots and wood nymphs, or the like, but there were also the occasional monarchs, swallowtails, and mourning cloaks.
Definition of wood nymph in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.