Definition of wood nymph in English:
1(In folklore and classical mythology) a nymph inhabiting woodland, especially a dryad or hamadryad.
- A beautiful woman - supposedly a wood nymph - stood partly in the shadows, with moonlight streaming down upon her.
- A manipulative wood nymph, Dunphia, competes for the attentions of the impressionable Keano with the pink dolphin god, Fergie.
- It bounded towards her, revealing a short wood nymph with impossibly tangled grey hair.
2A brown American butterfly of grassy habitats and light woodland, with large eyespots on the forewings and smaller ones on the hindwings.
- Genus Cercyonis, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae: several species
- I believe they were mostly Harris's checkerspots and wood nymphs, or the like, but there were also the occasional monarchs, swallowtails, and mourning cloaks.
Definition of wood nymph in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India