Definition of woodblock in English:
1A block of wood, especially one forming part of a floor: [as modifier]: a woodblock floor
More example sentences
- Faced with the challenge of selecting a flooring solution that created the right ambience, reclaimed maple woodblock from a timber flooring specialist provided the solution.
- The reception hall with mahogany woodblock floor leads to a gracious drawing room with windows on three sides overlooking the well-tended gardens.
1.1A block of wood from which woodcut prints are made.
- For the creation of one of these prints several woodblocks have to be carved, a key-block for the outlines and one block for each color.
- The woodblock printing technique came from China to Japan several hundred years ago.
- Watanabe's print shop was completely destroyed - and with it the woodblocks of all 500 prints created by Takahashi Hiroaki.
1.2A hollow wooden block used as a percussion instrument.
- The other plays a multiple percussion setup consisting of a seven-piece drumset supplemented by a woodblock, pedal-operated tambourine, triangle and slapstick.
- Activities involving clapping, playing a woodblock, or tossing a beanbag work well with more upbeat tempi since the muscle movement takes a shorter time to complete.
- A more animated idea follows, with frolicking clarinets and boisterous woodblocks.
Words that rhyme with woodblockroadblock • sunblock
Definition of woodblock in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan