Definition of woodcarving in English:
1The action or skill of carving wood to make functional or ornamental objects.
- In the kirks a certain skill in woodcarving was often evident, and in recognition of the Auld Alliance between France and Scotland, a blue fleur-de-lis carpet was usually a feature.
- The traditional Basque decorative arts consist primarily of woodcarving and engraving on stone.
- Occupational therapy in the form of needlework, woodcarving and basketwork and entertainment including film shows and dancing all played a big role in the men's rehabilitation.
1.1 [count noun] An object carved from wood: a medieval painted woodcarving
More example sentences
- Along with the watercolours, the exhibition includes six woodcarvings because working with wood is her new passion.
- Inspired, it is said, by the medieval woodcarvings of master carver William Bromflet, whose work he saw in Ripon Cathedral, Thompson dedicated himself to making quality furniture out of naturally seasoned English oak.
- Already well known for his watercolours and woodcarvings, he turned his attention to miniatures after inheriting embroidery books and materials from friend Margaret Sarraff.
- Example sentences
- Jeremy Parkes writes: ‘The designers went to great lengths to seek out artists with skills in trades that have almost died out: glass-blowers, blacksmiths and woodcarvers.’
- The York Consortium of Conservation and Craftsmanship boasts everything from glaziers and stone masons to woodcarvers, blacksmiths, painters and gilders and experts in the restoration of antique furniture.
- The individual cases of professional woodcarvers who make non-nkanda art, of banganga baluvumbu, and of individuals who combine both roles give some idea of the range of their experience.
Definition of woodcarving in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia