(also woodchat shrike)
A shrike of southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, having black and white plumage with a chestnut head.
- Lanius senator, family Laniidae
More example sentences
- Although the same size as a red-backed shrike, the woodchat gives an impression of being smaller and more compact.
- The songbird family of shrikes that is responsible for such carnage is well represented by the woodchat shrike, pictured here grappling with a lizard.
- However I did log a woodchat shrike, numerous barn and red-rumped swallows, a veritable swarm of common swifts, and a common buzzard.
Definition of woodchat in:
- The US English dictionary