Definition of woodcut in English:
1A print of a type made from a design cut in a block of wood, formerly widely used for illustrations in books. Compare with wood engraving.
- Apart from paintings he produced etchings, lithographs, and woodcuts as book illustrations.
- He created lithographs, etchings, drypoints, lino cuts, woodcuts and aquatints.
- When only woodcuts, etchings and engravings could be printed, the images would get worse and worse over time as the blocks or plates wore down.
1.1 [mass noun] The technique of making woodcuts.
- Fabrics printed from wood are found in Middle Eastern work of the 5th century ad, and woodcut technique was advanced in China from the 9th century and probably earlier.
- Regular visits to China added new stock, not only of paintings, but also of artist's woodblock prints, folk art, stone rubbings and technically virtuosic colour woodcut reproductions of major masterpieces.
- The artist works in the traditional woodcut technique.
Words that rhyme with woodcutuppercut • chestnut
Definition of woodcut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan