- A bird with a strong bill and a stiff tail, which climbs tree trunks to find insects and drums on dead wood to mark territory.
More example sentences
- Family Picidae (the woodpecker family): many genera and numerous species. The woodpecker family also includes the wrynecks, piculets, flickers, and sapsuckers
- Mexico is home to toucans, vultures, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, parrots, macaws, and quetzals.
- All other birds, from loons and penguins to woodpeckers and sparrows, are placed together in the third main lineage, the Neoaves.
- Great-spotted woodpeckers drum while chiffchaffs, blackcaps, chaffinches and wrens sing their hearts out.
More definitions of woodpeckerDefinition of woodpecker in:
- The US English dictionary