- 1The wooden parts of a room or building, such as window frames or doors: the woodwork was painted blueMore example sentences
- Got home to find my windows sparkly white and some paint on the polished woodwork of my front door.
- However, small children have been known to incur health problems by ingesting loose chips of lead paint or by teething on painted woodwork, such as windowsills.
- Use your angular brush on woodwork and window frames, your trim brush on corners and edges.
- 1.1 (the woodwork) • informal The wooden frame of a soccer goal (used in reference to a shot that is a near miss): Derby twice hit the woodworkMore example sentences
- Costa Rica might have scored twice before Brazil had mustered the first of their many shots; the Central Americans went on to hit the woodwork twice and miss a series of glaring chances.
- In Division One, Ingleton Reserves had no luck in front of goal with three shots hitting the woodwork, while City Contracts went ahead with a Nigel Barrass goal.
- Everton hit the woodwork twice, had two penalty appeals turned down, but in the end found themselves with an uphill battle against a determined a defiant Spurs who maintained their unbeaten away league record.
- 2British The activity or skill of making things from wood: he taught woodwork at night schoolMore example sentences
- It also boasts of a youth skills centre where youths are taught skills like woodwork, sewing and hairdressing.
- Anther parallel to this is a plan mooted for young men, whereby they may learn woodwork and metalwork skills and thereby sustain themselves.
- A mentor, who offers incentives for good behaviour like day trips, has also helped boost the 14-year-old's maths, woodwork and teamwork skills.
come out of the woodwork
- (Of an unpleasant person or thing) emerge from obscurity; be revealed: would-be informants came crawling out of the woodworkMore example sentences
- And another thing - you should have seen all the obscure relatives that came out of the woodwork for this funeral.
- But there's also a very interesting phenomenon occurring here, and that is as we continue to evacuate people out of the Superdome, we're finding more and more people coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.
- But I started dealing in them and found collectors just coming out of the woodwork.
- More example sentences
- A master carpenter and woodworker, examples of his skills can be seen in many establishments in Rosses Point, Colm is very grateful for any help or support you can give.
- There he worked as an ouvrier amongst many other German woodworkers and cabinetmakers in the Faubourg Saint-Antoine, and in 1881 he married the daughter of the German owner of the hostelery he resided in.
- However, those who worked mainly inside - the carpenters and woodworkers, plumbers, plasterers - all voted against by a clear majority.