- 1Made wholly or partly of wool: thick woollen blanketsMore example sentences
- But it has progressed to huddling in a big wool blanket at night, with big woollen socks on my feet, holding out on using the heater.
- Among these were packets of cigarettes, thick woollen socks and gloves, and chocolate.
- Hey, has anyone seen that heavy woollen sock of mine?
- 2Relating to the production of wool: the woollen industry a woollen millMore example sentences
- But new inventions in the 18th century speeded up textile production and led to the growth of factories, and many of the old corn mills were converted to woollen production.
- These organic sources were supplemented by wind and water, which powered mills to grind corn or crush seeds, to power fulling mills in the woollen industry and bellows in iron furnaces.
- On land, they plundered logwood, a tree used to produce a dye used in the woolen industry.
noun(usually woollens) Back to top
- An article of clothing made of wool.More example sentences
- The men wore knee length wrap-around skirts or kilt-like woollens as well as tunics, cloaks and even one-piece garments.
- The light clothes which will do for summer need to be changed for serious woollens, hoods and gloves for the freezing winds of winter.
- It's cold enough for light woollens but not yet time to get into heavier clothing.
More definitions of woollenDefinition of woollen in:
- The US English dictionary