Definition of workhorse in English:
1A horse used for work on a farm.
- We experimented with teams of Percheron and Belgian workhorses.
- After 26 years of horse power, we sold our six workhorses (yes, we were guilty of ‘get bigger or get out’), completing our switch to using hand power.
- They tend to be more workhorses than show horses.
1.1A person or machine that dependably performs hard work over a long period of time: the aircraft was the standard workhorse of Soviet medium-haul routes
More example sentences
- Chunky, practical and uninspiring, it used to be nothing more than a dependable workhorse.
- They're sort of workhorses of the airline industry.
- He's a workhorse on a team that plays hard defensively, but provides little cushion offensively.
Definition of workhorse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.