Definition of workhorse in English:
1A horse used for work on a farm.
- We experimented with teams of Percheron and Belgian workhorses.
- After 26 years of horse power, we sold our six workhorses (yes, we were guilty of ‘get bigger or get out’), completing our switch to using hand power.
- They tend to be more workhorses than show horses.
1.1A person or machine that dependably performs hard work over a long period of time: the aircraft was the standard workhorse of Soviet medium-haul routes
More example sentences
- Chunky, practical and uninspiring, it used to be nothing more than a dependable workhorse.
- They're sort of workhorses of the airline industry.
- He's a workhorse on a team that plays hard defensively, but provides little cushion offensively.
Definition of workhorse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan