Definition of world language in English:
1A language known or spoken in many countries.
- Not to be outdone, the French, ever concerned about the inevitable decline of their language as a world language, have decided to emulate the Anglo-Saxons by beginning to put online the whole content of the Bibliothèque Nationale.
- In the past decade there's been no let-up in the way that English has continued to grow as a world language.
- Then in her last few paragraphs she gets to what one might reasonably think is the point, the establishment of English as a world language.
1.1An artificial language for international use: there have been attempts to introduce a standard world language
More example sentences
- The President reckoned that although English was doing quite well as a world language, they wanted Esperanto to become the next world language.
- I think Esperanto should be the world language!
Definition of world language in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan