Definition of worn in English:
past participle of wear1.
adjectiveBack to top
1Damaged and shabby as a result of much use: his knees were encased in worn plus fours
More example sentences
- Seeing only her face, not her threadbare coat, nor her worn shoes, he drew her back into his arms.
- Off to the side, a man with a worn brown blazer and wild hair turns in slow circles and drums in the air.
- There is also a worn bearing in the gear-box, audible to my mechanic, but not yet critical.
shabby, well worn, worn out, worn to shreds, threadbare, tattered, in tatters, in ribbons, in rags, in holes, holey, falling to pieces, falling apart at the seams, ragged, frayed, patched, moth-eaten, faded, seedy, shoddy, sorry, scruffy, dilapidated, crumbling, broken-down, run down, tumbledown, decrepit, deteriorated, on its last legs, having seen better days, time-worn
British informal grotty
Australian/New Zealand informal warby
2Very tired: his face looked worn and old
More example sentences
- The worn expression on her face and her tired eyes touched him, and he felt a sense of injustice.
- He took her hand with his own and hoisted his old body to its feet with a worn smile.
- Coming home in the early evening, we found ourselves tired and a little worn.
strained, drawn, drained, worn out, fatigued, tired, tired out, exhausted, weary, wearied, wan, sapped, spent, careworn, haggard, hollow-cheeked, hollow-eyed, gaunt, pinched, pale, peaky, pasty-faced, washed out, ashen, blanched
informal worn to a frazzle, all in, done in, dog-tired, dead on one's feet, dead beat, fit to drop, played out, fagged out, shattered, bushed
Words that rhyme with wornadorn, born, borne, bourn, Braun, brawn, corn, dawn, drawn, faun, fawn, forborne, forewarn, forlorn, freeborn, horn, lawn, lorn, morn, mourn, newborn, Norn, outworn, pawn, porn, prawn, Quorn, sawn, scorn, Sean, shorn, spawn, suborn, sworn, thorn, thrawn, torn, Vaughan, warn, withdrawn, yawn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia