Definition of worried in English:
Anxious or troubled about actual or potential problems: Michelle knew that her friends were very worried about her there was a worried frown on his face he is worried that we are not sustaining high employment
More example sentences
- Robyn didn't show up, which had me a bit worried the whole time (I later learned she fell asleep).
- I'm starting to get a little worried about the enormity of the task ahead and the amount of change the next couple of months will bring.
- When he still wasn't home by 1:00 AM on a week-night when he was usually home by 9:00 PM, I got so worried I called a police precinct.
anxious, disturbed, perturbed, troubled, bothered, distressed, concerned, upset, distraught, worried sick, disquieted, uneasy, ill at ease, fretful, fretting, agitated, in a state of agitation, nervous, edgy, on edge, like a cat on a hot tin roof, tense, overwrought, worked up, keyed up, strung out, jumpy, with one's stomach in knots, stressed, under stress;
distracted, apprehensive, fearful, afraid, frightened, scared, with one's heart in one's mouth, quaking, trembling, shaking in one's shoes, in a cold sweat
informal uptight, a bundle of nerves, on tenterhooks, with butterflies in one's stomach, hassled, jittery, twitchy, in a state, wired, in a stew, in a dither, all of a dither, in a flap, in a sweat, in a tizz/tizzy, all of a lather, het up, in a twitter, rattled
Australian/New Zealand informal toey
British vulgar slang shitting bricks, bricking oneself
the worried well
- People who are unnecessarily anxious about their physical or mental health: doctors increasingly have to deal with the worried well, rather than the genuinely sickMore example sentences
- Most GPs are willing to arrange for similar tests to reassure the "worried well".
- The vaccine may have been used on the worried well rather than risk groups.
- Popular accounts of angina have encouraged an epidemic of "atypical chest pain" and thousands of "worried well" consultations.
- Example sentences
- "I'm sure we left it here," the young man said worriedly, and he and his wife went down on their knees, digging through leaves and moss, searching for their lost fiddle.
- In this video, a girl lay sick on the couch and her mother worriedly took her temperature.
- Adam looked down, startled to see his little brother's face looking worriedly up at him.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan