- 1.1 • archaic A plant or herb used as food or medicinally.More example sentences
- St. John's wort is an herb that some people use to treat depression.
- St John's wort is an ancient herb, and was known to the Greeks and Romans as an astringent to be rubbed on wounds.
- As many might know, one of the worts' herbal properties is as a calmative.
- 2 [mass noun] The sweet infusion of ground malt or other grain before fermentation, used to produce beer and distilled malt liquors: yeast is added to the wortMore example sentences
- Purified water is first used to cool the boiled wort (the beer after boiling but before fermenting), becoming heated in the process.
- Waste heat recovered from the boiling kettle and from wort (unfermented beer) as it's cooled down is used to heat water for brewing and for cleaning the tanks.
- Instead, we recover heat from the boiling kettle and from wort [unfermented beer] as it's cooled down from boiling temperatures to fermentation temperatures.
Old English wyrt, of Germanic origin; related to root1.
More definitions of wortDefinition of wort in:
- The US English dictionary