Definition of worthwhile in English:
- Are the musicians at the airport a waste of money or worthwhile entertainment for our visitors?
- We thought this would be a fun way of raising some money for a worthwhile cause.
- All the effort was made worthwhile as Heaton again ran half the field for his second try.
When the adjective worthwhile is used attributively (i.e. before the noun) it is always written as one word: a worthwhile cause. However, when it is used predicatively (i.e. it stands alone and comes after the verb) it may be written as either one or two words: we didn’t think it was worthwhile/worth while.
- Example sentences
- A man's concern, even his despair, over the worthwhileness of life is an existential distress but by no means a mental disease.
- A sense of worthwhileness is cyclic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.