1North American A person in charge of horses or other livestock on a ranch.
- He and a dozen other Alisal Guest Ranch wranglers have only a couple of hours to catch and saddle 63 horses for guests going on this morning's breakfast ride.
- With two wranglers and six horses all we needed now were reservations!
- A ‘lunger,’ his tuberculosis kept him from active fighting in the Civil War but he served as a horse wrangler.
1.1A person who trains and takes care of animals on a film set: they had three cow wranglers to help with the scene
More example sentences
- Behind all those cute animals performing amazing acts in films there are animal wranglers like Mark Dumas, who trains bears, and Jim Chubb and his big cats.
- A former pro rodeo cowboy, these days he works primarily as an animal coordinator for films, supervising other wranglers and setting up stunts, shots etc.
- A judge has ruled against a film company that sought damages from an animal wrangler after her mule failed to cooperate while filming.
2A person engaging in a lengthy and complicated dispute: he was known as the wrangler for the aplomb with which he skewered the professors
More example sentences
- The wrangler has no hypothesis to establish or no concern for truth but the only aim is to create doubt regarding well established facts.
- He is not a wrangler, nor quarrelsome, and keeps himself out of all kinds of mischief, which other boys run into.
- Without such exercise, and good sense over and above, a man who has studied logic all his life may, after all, be only a petulant wrangler, without true judgment or skill of reasoning in any science.
3(At Cambridge University) a person placed in the first class of the mathematical tripos.
- In 1879 he entered King's College Cambridge becoming 11th wrangler in the mathematical tripos of 1882.
- He took Part I and Part II of the Classical Tripos in 1881 and 1883, being twelfth wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos of 1882.
- Hardy was placed as fourth wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos of 1898, a result which continued to annoy him for, despite feeling that the system was very silly, he still felt that he should have come out on top.
Words that rhyme with wranglerangler, dangler, strangler
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: wran|gler
Definition of wrangler in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.