Definition of wrangler in English:
1North American A person in charge of horses or other livestock on a ranch.
- He and a dozen other Alisal Guest Ranch wranglers have only a couple of hours to catch and saddle 63 horses for guests going on this morning's breakfast ride.
- With two wranglers and six horses all we needed now were reservations!
- A ‘lunger,’ his tuberculosis kept him from active fighting in the Civil War but he served as a horse wrangler.
1.1A person who trains and takes care of animals on a film set: they had three cow wranglers to help with the scene
More example sentences
- Behind all those cute animals performing amazing acts in films there are animal wranglers like Mark Dumas, who trains bears, and Jim Chubb and his big cats.
- A former pro rodeo cowboy, these days he works primarily as an animal coordinator for films, supervising other wranglers and setting up stunts, shots etc.
- A judge has ruled against a film company that sought damages from an animal wrangler after her mule failed to cooperate while filming.
2A person engaging in a lengthy and complicated dispute: he was known as the wrangler for the aplomb with which he skewered the professors
More example sentences
- The wrangler has no hypothesis to establish or no concern for truth but the only aim is to create doubt regarding well established facts.
- He is not a wrangler, nor quarrelsome, and keeps himself out of all kinds of mischief, which other boys run into.
- Without such exercise, and good sense over and above, a man who has studied logic all his life may, after all, be only a petulant wrangler, without true judgment or skill of reasoning in any science.
3(At Cambridge University) a person placed in the first class of the mathematical tripos.
- In 1879 he entered King's College Cambridge becoming 11th wrangler in the mathematical tripos of 1882.
- He took Part I and Part II of the Classical Tripos in 1881 and 1883, being twelfth wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos of 1882.
- Hardy was placed as fourth wrangler in the Mathematical Tripos of 1898, a result which continued to annoy him for, despite feeling that the system was very silly, he still felt that he should have come out on top.
Definition of wrangler in:
- US English dictionary