Definition of wrathful in English:
Full of or characterized by intense anger: natural calamities seemed to be the work of a wrathful deity
More example sentences
- These exchanges are routine, and don't distract Krista from trying to breach an ideological gap with a car full of wrathful seniors.
- As she slowly gathered her wits, she could feel the familiar burning of wrathful anger building up within her.
- Bodhisattvas are portrayed as both benevolent godlike figures and wrathful deities.
angry, irate, raging, enraged, incensed, infuriated, furious, choleric, fuming, ranting, raving, seething, frenzied, in a frenzy, beside oneself, indignant, outraged, vexed, in high dudgeon, exasperated, in a temper, irritated, provoked, piqued, cross, displeased;
bad-tempered, hot-tempered, ill-humoured, irascible
informal mad, wild, livid, boiling, spare, aerated, hot under the collar, on the warpath, up in arms, with all guns blazing, foaming at the mouth, seeing red, steamed up, fit to be tied
North American informal sore
- Example sentences
- My emotions manage to squeeze a few tears past the imposed strictures of my society, but most of my grief only pounds wrathfully against generations of parents telling sons that ‘big boys don't cry.’
- Jen said nothing, but glared at him wrathfully.
- Picking up the receiver wrathfully, I muttered a monotonous ‘hello’.
- Example sentences
- Jackson was a fascinating mixture of contrasts: eccentricity and excellence, ambition and humility, restlessness and repose, wrathfulness and righteousness.
- Their aspect of wrathfulness is often interpreted as a form of great energy usable for many purposes.
- Consequently, wrathfulness, horror, and repugnance as such are elicited by the events of the film.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan