- 1A person who has written something or who writes in a particular way: the writer of the letterMore example sentences
- A number of commentators, including letter writers to this newspaper, have made the point, banging on about the general rottenness of modern life.
- Creative leeway has always been granted to those novelists and letter writers who are able to pull off a controversial use of rhetoric with talent and grace.
- There also is usually a diverse mix of essayists and letter writers on our op-ed page.
- 1.1A person who writes books, stories, or articles as a job or occupation: Dickens was a prolific writer a writer of short storiesMore example sentences
- Members include a variety or writers and would vary from scribblers to novelists, poets, and writers of short stories and writers for children.
- Alex Ninian is a travel writer whose articles on India and other countries have appeared in numerous British and American publications.
- ‘The book is about growing old as a man,’ says short story writer, novelist and playwright Carl Nixon.
- 2 Computing A device that writes data to a storage medium: a CD writerMore example sentences
- Support for multimedia devices such as CD writers is improved but SuSE support for scanners, though improved, remains less than perfect.
- You could use a zip drive, a CDR / DVD writer, a USB drive or a secure online storage service.
- Goods seized included 1000s of illegal copies of software, music and films plus PCs, CD / DVD writers and video recorders.
- The condition of being unable to think of what to write or how to proceed with writing: the novelist recovered from a two-year bout with writer’s blockMore example sentences
- I've been trying for some time to help Suzy overcome a bad case of writer's block, partly by encouraging her to blog.
- Some call it writer's block, others, cruelly, call it a lack of creativity.
- From his output, you wouldn't think Stephen King suffered from writer's block.
- Pain or stiffness in the hand caused by excessive writing: muscular disorders including tennis elbow and writer’s crampMore example sentences
- Their definition of a disease is loose, at best; the list includes everything from cancer and AIDS to constipation, colour blindness, writer's cramp and the hiccups.
- Getting writer's cramp in the midst of What Maisie Knew, Henry James hired a shorthand typist and his style changed accordingly.
- A fellow joked afterwards that I should have writer's cramp what with all the books I had to sign.
Old English wrītere (see write).