nounBritish • informal
- 1A person of bad character.More example sentences
- Has it ever struck you what it means to your mother if you turn out a wrong 'un or a waster?
- 2 Cricket another term for googly.More example sentences
- He doesn't rip as many as he used to and he rarely bowls a wrong'un, but the one that goes straight on, pushed out of the front of the hand - and which accounted for Trescothick, Bell and Andrew Flintoff - is still too good for most batsmen.
- You've got your leg-spinner, your wrong'un, your flipper, your top-spinner, slider, zooter.
- Not to be confused with the ball which Warne calls his ‘zooter’, which drifts through the air like an orthodox leg break, but merely continues on a similar course after it pitches, the googly - or wrong'un - is any leggie's pride and joy.
late 19th century: contraction of wrong one.