Definition of wryneck in English:
1An Old World bird of the woodpecker family, with brown camouflaged plumage and a habit of twisting and writhing the neck when disturbed.
- Genus Jynx, family Picidae: two species, in particular the northern wryneck (J. torquilla) of Eurasia
- There are two additional subfamilies of the Picidae, Picumninae, which is the sister group of the true woodpeckers, and Jynginae (wrynecks), which is sister to the Picinae-Picumninae clade.
- On the same trip to Spain we also caught up with two other birds I most desperately wanted to see: the ring ouzel, another thrush with a restricted range, and the wryneck, a strange-looking and behaving woodpecker.
- Some, such as the wryneck, ceased to breed in East Anglia; others, notably the stonechat, all but vanished.
2 another term for torticollis.
- Congenital muscular torticollis, also called wryneck, is usually discovered in the first 6 to 8 weeks of life.
- Torticollis, also known as wryneck, is a twisting of the neck that causes the head to rotate and tilt at an odd angle.
- If not treated, wryneck may lead to permanent facial deformity or unevenness and to restricted head movement.
Definition of wryneck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.