1North American A triangle of railway track used for turning locomotives or trains.
- Today the goal is to re-lay 4 kilometers of track to reach the wye at this point.
- There are also ten secondary tracks used for minor repairs, a train-wash, and a loop track and a wye.
- This facility was first located off Markham Road on the south side of Oshawa Sub. mainline with a wye into it.
2(In plumbing) a short pipe with a branch joining it at an acute angle.
- We suspect that the 90 [degrees], three-way connector between the ETT and the wye trapped aerosolized particles.
- Pipe wyes are used to to allow one pipe to join another pipe at some degree or angle.
- As the name suggests, the pipe wyes are Y-shaped pipe fitting devices.
mid 19th century: the letter Y represented as a word.