noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A yellow or brown carotenoid plant pigment which causes the autumn colours of leaves.More example sentences
- These are chlorophyll's shy cousins, the yellow pigment xanthophyll and the red-orange carotene.
- Remove both chlorophyll and the yellow pigment xanthophyll and the variegation is white.
- Concentrations of total carotenoids and total xanthophyll were greater for plants grown at low temperature.
mid 19th century: from Greek xanthos 'yellow' + phullon 'leaf'.
More definitions of xanthophyllDefinition of xanthophyll in:
- The US English dictionary