Definition of xenocryst in English:
A crystal in an igneous rock which is not derived from the original magma.
- This could represent a xenocryst derived from Archaean basement rocks of the region.
- Again, the lack of zircon xenocrysts in this sample does not allow discrimination between these alternatives.
- The xenocrysts provide evidence that earlier Neoproterozoic rocks were present in the region and that locally rocks date back to 1929 Ma.
- Example sentences
- Many of the intrusions contain veins and irregular patches of xenocrystic hybrid rock and granite.
- There is also a subpopulation of subrounded xenocrystic zircons, which are slightly more brown than euhedral grains.
- These are interpreted as xenocrystic cores and are of a similar age to zircon analysed elsewhere in the Anatolide belt of western Turkey.
Definition of xenocryst in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan