A crystal in an igneous rock which is not derived from the original magma.
- This could represent a xenocryst derived from Archaean basement rocks of the region.
- Again, the lack of zircon xenocrysts in this sample does not allow discrimination between these alternatives.
- The xenocrysts provide evidence that earlier Neoproterozoic rocks were present in the region and that locally rocks date back to 1929 Ma.
- Example sentences
- Many of the intrusions contain veins and irregular patches of xenocrystic hybrid rock and granite.
- There is also a subpopulation of subrounded xenocrystic zircons, which are slightly more brown than euhedral grains.
- These are interpreted as xenocrystic cores and are of a similar age to zircon analysed elsewhere in the Anatolide belt of western Turkey.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: xeno|cryst
Definition of xenocryst in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.