noun[mass noun] Botany
Fertilization of a flower by pollen from a flower on a genetically different plant. Compare with geitonogamy.
- Likewise, there was no difference between the xenogamy treatment and corresponding controls.
- There are no available data on the breeding system of C. longii to gauge the predominance of autogamy or xenogamy, or seed production due to apomixis.
- Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy; agamospermy is unimportant.
- Example sentences
- This species is xenogamous and self-compatible.
- Based upon similarities with other Lobelia species such as L. cardinalis and L. siphilitica it can be predicted that L. spicata is a xenogamous species.
- The value of inbreeding depression, measured at the level of seed set as a result of autogamous crosses with respect to xenogamous crosses, was 0 • 019.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: xen|og¦amy
Definition of xenogamy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.