Definition of xenolith in English:
A piece of rock within an igneous mass which is not derived from the original magma but has been introduced from elsewhere, especially the surrounding country rock.
- However, rare xenoliths of sedimentary rocks occur in the granite.
- The granite contains abundant xenoliths of the country rock.
- If the magma has risen quickly from the source region of the volcano, the xenoliths may represent country rock from all levels of the crust through which it has travelled.
- Example sentences
- PLT - 2 is a grey, fine-grained rock that occurs as xenolithic rafts within PLT-I.
- Higher up the section leucogranites become increasing more abundant and the pelitic gneisses occur only as xenolithic stringers enclosed wholly by the granite.
- And even in cases where volcanism has taken place, there are often older chunks of unmelted rock, called xenolithic inclusions, that can be identified within a lava flow and dated accurately.
Definition of xenolith in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia