Definition of xenology in English:
(Chiefly in science fiction) the scientific study of alien biology, cultures, etc.
- According to published hypotheses, this distribution might result from vertical inheritance of ancestral genes via speciation, from one or more horizontal transfers (xenology), or from a mixture of both.
- Molecular homologies can reflect the phylogeny of either species or genes and can reveal a complexity of pattern unknown in morphology, with orthology contributing to species phylogenies and paralogy and xenology contributing to gene phylogenies.
- 1 Postmodernism is highlighted by an emphatically interdisciplinary nature: we can be certain that we won't be seeing departments of xenology being set up at universities.
1950s: from Greek xenos 'stranger, foreigner', (adjective) 'strange'.
- Example sentences
- Primatology has heaped up examples of how similar to humans Apes are, to the extent that it seems unlikely now that a xenologist from Rigel 5 could differentiate a human from a chimpanzee.
- The original Zarkov seems to be a german scientist, a xenologist, from the 23rd. century.
- The first is human, a repressed xenologist named A. A. Zivancevic; the other is Shar, a member of the Laeske species.
Definition of xenology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan